Confidential & Sensitive Investigations
- Blog Posts
On occasion, employers face a particularly high stakes, sensitive, or confidential employment matter that requires an internal investigation and recommendation of remedial strategies. In these situations, clients need someone outside their organization or who is not their regular outside counsel to manage the situation with objectivity and discretion. We conduct discrete, unbiased investigations related to claims of discrimination, sexual harassment, and retaliation for government, non-profit and business clients. Our investigations ensure a fair outcome for the parties involved while reducing legal exposure.
We also provide organizations with employment counseling and diversity and inclusion training so they are better prepared to comply with their legal obligations, address reporting gaps, and make informed decisions to create an inclusive work culture.
Should litigation arise, our team is also well equipped to advise clients on the best course of action for claims relating to discrimination, sexual harassment, retaliation, corporate governance, and other employment-related matters. Our team is intimately familiar with handling litigation matters through hearings, arbitration and trials on the local, state, national, and global levels.
Member Melissa Hazell Davis focuses her practice on defending employers in litigation arising out of claims of discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and representing employers in breach of contract, trade secret, non-compete and other business related disputes. She also drafts and updates client policies, advise higher education institutions on compliance with Title IX, conduct sensitive confidential investigations, and prepare investigative findings and recommendations for allegations of discrimination, harassment and retaliation.
- Conducted confidential investigation into allegations of sexual harassment, racial discrimination, and other forms of bias and discrimination involving several years of executive and Board leadership and an array of stakeholders. Advised on potential claims from complainants, organization policy and procedure, crisis management and risk management.
- Advised a leader of a multimillion non-profit on issues related to employment, Board governance and oversight of Board committees.
- Conducted confidential investigation on behalf of Fortune 500 retailer and prepared report and recommendations in connection with alleged impropriety.
- Handled confidential review of extensive files of former CEO of large non-profit.
- Investigated discrimination claims against top university administrative official.
- Managed confidential review of CEO files after unexpected death to protect decedent’s privacy while assuring employer records properly preserved and transitioned.
- Handled broad investigation into foreign affiliate’s use of budgeted funds and management of sensitive program overseas.
- Served as neutral fact-finder in internal investigations, audited and prepared new policies, and advised institutions of higher education of legal obligations under ADA, Title IX, and the Clery Act.