Melissa Hazell Davis is a Senior Associate in Griesing Law LLC’s Commercial Litigation practice group.
What do you focus on?
I focus my practice on complex commercial litigation, insurance coverage, and labor and employment matters.
Melissa represents a wide range of clients, including both public and privately-held corporations, partnerships, limited liability companies, and individuals in all types of business disputes. She defends employers in litigation arising out of claims of discrimination, harassment and retaliation, and represents employers in breach of contract, trade secret, non-compete and other business-related disputes. Melissa argues and tries cases in federal and state courts and private arbitrations.
Prior to joining Griesing Law, Melissa worked in the litigation departments of several regional and national law firms. In one of her previous roles, she served as South Carolina counsel in several product liability actions for a Fortune 500 Company with global net sales of $14.9 billion. Melissa received The Legal Intelligencer’s 2017 Lawyer on the Fast Track award, recognizing her as an emerging leader in the profession.
Melissa received her J.D. from Columbia Law School, graduating as a Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar. She served as social chair and executive board member of the Black Law Students Association and as a member of both the Courtroom Advocacy Program and the Jerome Michael Jury Trial Program. She received her B.A. in History from Yale University.
- Columbia Law School, J.D., with honors
– Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
– Quarterfinalist, Frederick Douglass Moot Court Competition
– Social Chair, Executive Board Member, Black Law Students Association
– Member, Courtroom Advocacy Program
– Member, Jerome Michael Jury Trial Program
- Yale University, B.A., History
– Phi Alpha Theta Society (History Honor Society)
– Presidential Public Service Fellowship
– Treasurer, Finance Committee, Black Church at Yale
– President, Vice-President of Organization, Kappa Kappa Gamma
- New Jersey
- South Carolina
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court, District of South Carolina
- Best Lawyers Ones to Watch, 2022
– Labor and Employment Law – Employee
– Litigation – Labor and Employment
- The Legal Intelligencer Lawyers on the Fast Track, 2017
– Included in the annual listing of young Pennsylvania lawyers based upon demonstrated quality of legal work
- The Barristers’ Association of Philadelphia, Inc.
– Member, 2016-2021
Writing & Speaking
- “Beyond the Schoolyard: Effective Strategies for Ethically Dealing with Bullies in the Practice of Law” – Co-Presenter, LawPracticeCLE, August 2020
- “Make Room Millennials: Gen Zs Are Coming to Law Firms” – Author, The Legal Intelligencer, June 2019
- “Can You Tell Me a Little About Yourself?: Hiring Biases on College Campuses” – Co-Author, The Legal Intelligencer, March 2019
- “Medical Marijuana and the Effect of Legalization on College Campuses” – Co-Author, The Legal Intelligencer, June 2018
- “Low-Cost, Effective Tech. Solutions Make a Difference” – Author, Philadelphia Bar Reporter, June 2017
- “Big Changes Coming to Federal Overtime Regulations” – Author, Philadelphia Bar Reporter, October 2016