Jessica L. Mazzeo is a Member of Griesing Law, LLC's Employment practice group and serves as the Firm’s Chief Operating Officer. She provides a critical leadership role in all aspects of the Firm, acting as a dedicated advocate for both staff and clients.
What do you focus on?
I counsel clients on overall employee issues and employment best practices and advise on legal strategies that align with business goals. I also oversee and implement all daily business operations and the execution of business opportunities while establishing policies that promote and retain Firm’s culture and strategic vision. Furthermore, I lead business development efforts to help grow the Firm's client base.
What do you see on the horizon?
The legal industry has consistently been stagnant in many areas when it comes change – especially in the realm of balancing employee expectations. But the COVID-19 pandemic has forced many law firms to react in a very positive way. Coupled with the last few years of social uprising around the country, firms are now properly focusing on employee wellbeing and contributing to the balance that employees need both at home and in the workplace. Remote working for all employees of a firm – both attorney and staff alike – has been on the rise in the last year. Together with increased efforts in seeking a more diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace, there is a great shift that is still to come within our industry in terms of our working environments and the types of roles within a law firm. Luckily for our firm, we have been progressive in these areas since day one which has helped us stay ahead of the curve.
Since the Firm’s inception, Jessica has been a driving force in making it a one of a kind law firm, locally and nationally, that focuses on a collaborative team approach and discourages internal competition that interferes with client service. Her marketing and business development efforts have helped the firm grow its initial client base of only a small handful of clients to now having over 500 clients handling over 1,100 matters for clients which include Fortune 500 companies, small and privately held business, non-profits and entrepreneurs. Jessica has been relentless in her pursuit of building business for the Firm and has a proven track record of effectively assisting Firm attorneys in converting prospective clients into actual clients and Jessica herself has been able to attract clients to the firm. Jessica is an alumni of the Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program, an intensive twelve week mini-MBA program designed to help entrepreneurs create jobs and economic opportunity by providing greater access to education, capital and business support services. She also completed the Leadership Now development series presented by the Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce.
Jessica was the 2020-2021 Chair of the Diversity and Inclusion Committee of the Association of Legal Administrators (“ALA”), a non-profit organization with over 8,500 members across 30 countries and was previously on the Philadelphia Chapter’s Diversity and Inclusion Committee. Jessica also served as the Vice President of Communications, Board Secretary and on the 40th Anniversary Committee and Technology Subcommittee for the Philadelphia Chapter. In addition, she served for six years as a committee volunteer for the Women’s Business Enterprise Center (WBEC) East where she devoted several hours a month to various needs of the organization. In September 2016, the organization awarded Jessica for her efforts by making her a recipient of its Shining Star Award.
Since 2010 when the Firm became a member of the organization, Jessica became actively involved in supporting the National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (“NAMWOLF”), which is a non-profit trade organization dedicated to promoting diversity and fostering relationships between Fortune 500 companies and outside legal counsel. Jessica has traveled across the country as a staff volunteer for NAMWOLF since 2011 including serving as a representative of the NAMWOLF team at various Women Business Enterprise National Council’s National Conferences and Business Fairs. She also served as Co-Chair of NAMWOLF’s Marketing Initiative from 2011-2013. Jessica played a significant role in the Firm receiving NAMWOLF’s 2013 Law Firm MVP Award which is given by in-house attorneys from Fortune 500 corporations to acknowledge the law firm that has done the most to advance the organization’s mission. This is a particularly notable accomplishment because in doing so she helped the Firm become just the second firm in the organization’s then 12 year history to receive this accolade and there are currently 138 member law firms across 37 states. The award recognizes her passion for the organization and its mission as evidenced by her efforts on its behalf.
Jessica is a graduate of Temple University’s Fox School of Business and of Widener University’s Delaware Law School, where she graduated with pro bono distinction in recognition of her service to the law school’s Veteran’s Law Clinic.
- Widener University Delaware School of Law, J.D.
- Temple University Fox School of Business, B.B.A., Marketing
- Delaware County Community College, A.A.S., Business Management, Honors
- Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
- State of Florida
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Legal Lean Sigma Institute, White Belt Certification, Legal Lean Sigma® and Project Management
- Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program, Philadelphia Cohort 11
- Leadership Now, Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce
- Zelda Herrmann Memorial Scholarship Recipient, 2020
– Awarded annually to a female Widener University Delaware Law School student, who has demonstrated excellence in scholarship, leadership and is likely to make a substantial pro bono contribution as a practicing attorney
- E. Wallace Chadwick Memorial Fund Scholarship Recipient, 2020
– Awarded annually by the Delaware County Bar Association to law students who were raised and reside in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, based on academic achievement and community service
- Rising Star Semifinalist, KYW Newsradio Women’s Achievement Awards, 2019
– Celebrated women under the age of 40 who are making a huge positive impact on the Philadelphia region
- Shining Star Award, Women Business Enterprise Council East, 2016
– Acknowledged as an individual or entity that is instrumental in the development of WBEC-East and whose voluntary support of and commitment to supplier development enhances opportunities for certified WBEs
- SmartCEO Brava! Executive Awards, 2015
– Recognized as one of 10 local women executives that is an exemplary leader within their organizations and their communities
- Paradigm Scholarship, Greater Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce, 2012
– Awarded annually to working women who are pursuing an undergraduate degree
- Edgmont Township
– Community Day Committee Member, 2022
- The Carriages at Runnymeade Farms Community Association
– President, Board of Directors, 2020-2022
- National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms
– Communications Committee, 2022
– Staff Volunteer, 2012-2021
– Business Partner Ambassador, 2017
– Annual Meeting Host Committee, 2014
– Co-Chair, Marketing Initiative, 2011-2013
– Annual Meeting Entertainment Subcommittee, 2012
- Association of Legal Administrators
– Chair, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, 2020-2021
– Executive Search Committee, 2020
– National Conference Session Manager, 2016-2018, 2021
- Association of Legal Administrators, Philadelphia Chapter
– Diversity and Inclusion Committee, 2018-2020
– Vice President of Communications, Board of Directors, 2016-2018
– Secretary, Board of Directors, 2015-2016
– Technology Subcommittee, 2015
– 40th Anniversary Celebration Committee, 2015
- Women’s Business Enterprise Center (WBEC) East
– Volunteer, 2014-2021
- National Association of Women Business Owners
– Mentor, Philadelphia Semi-Circle of Influence, 2018
- Philadelphia Community College Paralegal Program
– Mentor, 2011