Angela M. Lorenz is a Member of Griesing Law, LLC and Chair of the Firm’s Workers’ Compensation practice group.
What do you focus on?
I exclusively focus on defending insured, self-insured and non-insured employers in Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation matters. I zealously represent clients in cases of varying complexity at both the trial and appellate levels.
What do you see on the horizon?
Anticipated changes to healthcare and social insurance programs like the Affordable Care Act and Medicaid will result in a cost-shift from personal insurance to workers compensation insurance. If these programs are greatly reduced or repealed, the likely result will be a surge in the uninsured population and an anticipated increase in workers compensation filings. It is important for employers and workers compensation carriers to stay abreast of the changing healthcare landscape and remain committed to cost-containment and loss mitigation strategy.
Angie has been representing employers and insurance carriers in Workers’ Compensation matters for over 15 years. She successfully defends new claims for benefits, mitigates exposure on continuing claims and ends existing claims. She represents all types of employers from small, family-owned businesses to large, international companies before Workers’ Compensation Judges, the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Board and the Commonwealth Court of Pennsylvania in Southeast, Northeast, Western and Central Pennsylvania. Angie has built a strong rapport with Workers’ Compensation Judges throughout Pennsylvania and is intimately familiar with the complex rules and statutes in the industry. She is also included on the American Arbitration Association Roster of Neutrals for the AAA Consumer Panel. Furthermore, Angie oversees all department billing and is committed to being in compliance with client billing practices, protocol and budgetary needs. Pennsylvania Super Lawyers has recognized Angie as a Rising Star in Workers’ Compensation.
Prior to joining the Firm, Angie worked for several firms in the Philadelphia region in their Workers’ Compensation defense departments. In those roles, she was responsible for managing Workers’ Compensation cases from initiation to conclusion including drafting pleadings, briefs, motions and other legal memoranda; attending administrative and civil hearings, conferences and mediations with judges and counsel; and participating and conducting depositions of fact and expert witnesses.
Outside of the Firm, Angie volunteers as a pro bono attorney for Protection From Abuse (PFA) hearings in the Bucks County Court of Common Pleas through Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania. Angie is also Co-Chair of the Workers’ Compensation Section of the Bucks Country Bar Association where she routinely organizes and presents CLE programs. Additionally, Angie is a Board Member of Our Lady of Good Counsel’s Catholic Youth Organization and head coach of the Bantam Division’s track and field, basketball and cross country teams.
Angie earned her J.D. from Widener University School of Law and her B.A. from the University of Pittsburgh – Johnstown where she graduated cum laude. While in law school, Angie clerked for the Office of Attorney General, Bureau of Consumer Protection where she drafted memoranda of law and motions on behalf of Pennsylvania consumers, conducted legal research and reviewed documents for legal significance, relevance and confidentiality. She also served as a member of the Moot Court Executive Board where she was voted Outstanding Executive Board Member by her peers.
- Widener University School of Law, J.D.
– Moot Court Honor Society, Executive Board
– Voted by peers as Outstanding Moot Court Executive Board Member
- University of Pittsburgh, Johnstown, B.A., cum laude
- Workers’ Compensation Law Specialty Certification, Pennsylvania Bar Association’s Section on Workers’ Compensation Law – Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Bucks Country Bar Association Pro Bono Honor Roll, 2018
– Recognized for pro bono work with Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania
- Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2010; 2013
– Pennsylvania – Workers’ Compensation
– Honor bestowed on no more than 2.5% of Pennsylvania lawyers
- Greater BucksMont Chamber of Commerce
– Member, 2020-2021
– Scholarship Selection Committee, 2021
- Bucks County Court of Common Pleas/Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania
– Pro Bono Attorney, 2016-2020
- Bucks Country Bar Association
– Co-Chair, Workers’ Compensation Section, 2019-2020
– Volunteer, Learning with Lawyers Program, 2018
- The Forum of Executive Women
– Mentoring Program, 2019-2020
- Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic Youth Organization
– Board Member, 2018-2020
– Track and Field Coach, 2016-2020
– Basketball Coach, 2017-2020
– Cross Country Coach, 2018-2020
– Partners in Education Committee, 2015-2018
Writing & Speaking
- “Stop the Insanity: Why Construction Needs Workforce Diversity” – Presenter, MetalCon, October 2021
- “The Functional Capacity Evaluation: Overview & Importance of Consistency & Effort” – Co-Presenter, Bucks County Bar Association, December 2020
- “Your Inner Critic: How to Silence It” – Co-Presenter, The Forum of Executive Women, October 2020
- “All Workers’ Compensation and No Play This Summer for Pa. Courts” – Author, The Legal Intelligencer, October 2020
- “Recent Developments & Workers’ Compensation Case Law Update” – Co-Presenter, Bucks County Bar Association, August 2020
- “Injured Workers and Medical Marijuana Use” –Moderator, Bucks County Bar Association – Doylestown, PA, December 2018
- “Medical Marijuana and Workers’ Compensation: A Hazy Outlook” – Moderator, Bucks County Bar Association – Doylestown, PA, August 2018
- “Workers’ Compensation Case Law and Legislative Update” – Speaker, Bucks County Bar Association – Doylestown, PA, April 2018
- “PA Workers’ Compensation and the Opioid Crisis” – Contributor, Bucks County Bar Association – Doylestown, PA, August 2017