Fran Griesing, founder of Griesing Law, LLC, a WBENC-certified woman owned firm, represents clients in complex business transactions, high stakes litigation and alternate dispute resolution matters, and advises clients on reducing legal expense. She also serves as a neutral arbitrator and mediator. Fran’s clients are public and closely held companies, not-for-profit organizations and executives, predominately in the hospitality, foodservice, technology, chemicals and manufacturing industries.
Chambers and Partners USA, a leading directory of the legal profession, has noted that clients describe her as “intensely detail-focused and a persuasive and energetic litigator” with a “professional and personable manner.” Chambers has also expressly recognized her for her work in the hospitality industry, and for her “practical and down-to-earth counsel.”
Prior to launching Griesing Law, LLC in 2010, Fran practiced law at top tier firms in New York and Philadelphia and, from 1997 to 2000, she served as Chair of Litigation of Philadelphia’s City Solicitor’s Office under former Mayor Edward G. Rendell, who later served as Governor of Pennsylvania. As the City's top trial lawyer, she advised the Mayor, ranking administration officials and City Council on cutting-edge legal issues, while managing over 2,000 matters, supervising 75 lawyers plus attendant support staff, and overseeing outside counsel. As the City's lead attorney on several high-profile matters, she is accustomed to working with a diverse constituency and performing under public scrutiny.
An honors graduate of Binghamton University and the University of Pennsylvania Law School, where she was an editor of the Law Review, Ms. Griesing has been recognized for her professional and community leadership. She has been acknowledged as a Woman to Watch; Greater Philadelphia Woman of Distinction; one of the Governor’s Best 50 Women in Business; and a SmartCEO Brava! leader. She has been recognized by Chambers and Partners USA, Best Lawyers in America and Pennsylvania SuperLawyers. Ms. Griesing also received the Philadelphia Bar Education Center’s Excellence in Legal Education Award and the American Bar Association’s Excellence in Legal Writing Award. She has taught Business Law, Public Employment Law and Advocacy Skills at Temple University's Beasley School of Law and Fox School of Business & Management and has been a guest lecturer at the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Ms. Griesing is included on the American Arbitration Association Roster of Neutrals for commercial and employment matters, International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution neutrals list for commercial, employment and hotel franchise matters, and the Philadelphia Commerce Court Judge Pro Tempore list.
University of Pennsylvania Law School, JD; cum laude
Binghamton University (SUNY – Harpur College), magna cum laude
U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Chambers & Partners, USA Guide 2008 - 2013
- Included in the annual listing of the leading litigation lawyers
- Best Lawyers, 2012-2013
- Included in the annual listing under Litigation – municipal and Litigation – Labor & Employment
- SmartCEO Brava! Awards, 2012
- Recognized as one of 25 local women business leaders for her irrepressible entrepreneurial spirit with a passion for giving back to the community
- SmartCEO Legal Elite, 2010-2011
- Included in the Legal Elite Readers Poll
- SuperLawyers, 2004 - 2010
- Selected by survey of Pennsylvania lawyers as one of the top lawyers
- American Bar Association Excellence in Legal Writing Award, 2007
- Selected for best technology/law practice management article by Real Property, Estate and Tax Section
- Greater Philadelphia Women of Distinction, 1998
- Recognized by Philadelphia Business Journal for distinguished professional accomplishment and community contributions impacting the Greater Philadelphia region. Member of Award Advisory Committee, 1999.
- Excellence in Legal Education Award, 1998
- Selected from hundreds of lawyers for Philadelphia Bar Education Center inaugural award for program planning and presentation skills.
- Pennsylvania’s Best 50 Women in Business, 1996
- Recognized by Department of Commerce, Governor’s Commission for Women and Pennsylvania’s five Business Journals for professional and personal accomplishments, influence, competence and advocacy in business community.
- Pennsylvania Honor Roll for Women, 1996
- Recognized for professional and community activities.
- Women to Watch, 1996
- Selected by Business Philadelphia as one of the region’s professional “women of impact” who is “changing the face” of corporate America.
- Philadelphia Hospitality
Board of Directors, 2010-12
- The Forum of Executive Women
Board of Directors, 2000-01; Member 1996-2001
- The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel
Advisory Board, 2000-01
- Federation Day Care Services
Board of Directors, 1992-2001; Vice President & Executive Committee, 1996-99; Chair, Strategic Planning, 1997-98; Program and Planning, 1995-97
- Leadership Development Mission, October 1993
One of twelve professionals chosen for good will mission to Poland and Israel.
- Leadership, Inc., 1991-92
Selective program for emerging leaders in the Philadelphia region.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and American Bar Associations
Chaired numerous committees, task forces and initiatives on ethics, professional development, and judicial selection.
Training and Publications by Subject Matter